Monday 7 May 2007

Quick critique

My tutor allowed me to paste my assignment into an email in an effort to speed things up and buy me a bit of time before I contribute to the national debt buying software and printers.

This is good news as I have a small problem with entropy - I have a tendency towards inertia which means any loss of momentum can quickly turn permanent.

Further good news is that she complimented my 'thorough research' but felt there was 'some repetition' and stopped short of recommending I send it out for potential publication. Basically, in the most British manner possible, she felt it was shite. Which it was.

So I now have a sounding board for my work who is honest and can recognise dull prose for what it is. Fantastic! Best I get working on a riveting second assignment (that'll shock her!). Or should I solve the software/printer issue first. Hmmm... I think I'll have a sit down and think about it for a while.....

2 comments:

DJ Kirkby said...

Very funny, I like your blog. Just found it today and am now late for the getting everyone out of the house for work and school olympics (thanks for that!) I will be back tomorrow for another good read as I have linked you on my blog (partly 'cos your blog is great but also so I dont forget about your blog!)

Unknown said...

I admire your post. Check mine, it's a diary, too, and I take myself so seriously as a writer it's sick.
(http://www.diaryofaheretic.blogs.com)
My husband is my editor and my publishing history is sorry to none. My husband/editor, who can be super-strict, making me cut out all kinds of poetic flourishes and (to me) pertinent details, nonetheless, refuses to allow me to disparage my efforts. Any reference to writing as good or bad comes close to angering him.
Take the criticism that makes sense to you, strive to grow as a writer and certainly follow whatever instructions are necessary for publication. Remember always, however, that any judgment re: creative writing, which includes all writing--it's rarely an easy endeavor--is ultimately subjective. Further, why put yourself down when so very many others are more than eager to take on that role--even though they can't possibly know as much about your writing as you do? Your own good will toward your work my be difficult to maintain (it's often impossible for me), but it soon proves crucial. No one gets to limn the sublime without risking the ridiculous.
I guess I should listen to myself.
And for you? More power to you, power, faith, and peace.