Thursday 3 May 2007

Much obliged, if not much richer

Yesterday there were twenty new visitors to this page. More than half stayed and read what I had to say. I cannot begin to tell you how good this makes me feel, how validated. Out there, in the Land of Blog exist people who think I may just have a chance in this crazy venture.

And some even wrote to me, with words of encouragement. That's right! - not one suggested that I ignore dear Mom and spend more time with my daughter. They like me! They like me!

But while making my first tentative steps into the literary unknown - which promises to be full of rejection letters and minimal feedback - you, dear readers, give me hope.

My copy of the Writers' and Artists' Yearbook arrived today. I am fast approaching the point where I will have run out of excuses for not subjecting some of my work to the criticism of those who could pay the bills. I now have their addresses and am fairly clear on the format submissions should take. Oh dear...

So today I will polish my short story and send it off to a magazine I found in the handbook. I will. Just as soon as I can find a stamp.

2 comments:

Pig in the Kitchen said...

this sounds daft, but may i suggest you take up running?! Or some other form of mindless exercise, it's a great way to get ideas, it's just you plodding along with your thoughts.
Have a good weekend!
Pigx

The Good Woman said...

Oh dear Pig! I swim. Which is as mindless as running but with more questionable views (see Morning at the pool in my wee Scottish Blog).

I wasn't worried about ideas, until I read your comment.