Friday 11 May 2007

No press is bad press

I have mentioned previously that I maintain another blog, my wee Scottish Blog. I am finding this a very rewarding pursuit. Not financially mind you, but the lessons are proving valuable.

This week a friend posted a fairly critical and caustic comment to me. I've mentioned my rather poor record with criticism before. I am not good with it, having a severe difficulty distinguishing the constructive from the just plain mean. I take it all personally and this was no exception.

So I got myself into a right froth, we slugged it out (over flowers and tea, as only good friends can) and I wrote a response on my blog. I have had considerably more hits and comments since this little incident than before.

Lesson learnt - writing is not about pleasing people, it's about keeping them interested. I might have preferred not to have an argument with a friend, but airing it through writing about it did me no end of good and lead to a good piece of writing.

So if you've got something to say - go for it. Bring on the controversy. My hit counter and I are waiting!

5 comments:

Tea Potting said...

Controversy does spike the hit counter. I had a blog during a time I was heartbroken. Wow, do people love drama. I got around 20 comments a day. But then the blog/spawn started dictating me what I should do with my life to keep visitors interested. So I had to kill it. Let's see how this new one behaves. I like your space and what has become of your life. Maybe if you had turned into that corporate hot-shot you'd set out to be, I wouldn't be here reading. Cheers :)

Doodaddy said...

Well put. I spiked when I was critical of moms at my playground.

And although I would never have said that my hit counter is the reason I blog, it sure feels good sometimes to know people are out there...

VampireFaust said...

Agreed! There's no point in having a blog if you aren't honest in your writings. ;)

KarenO said...

You are so right: writing is not about pleasing people, it's about keeping them interested. And that in turn implies communication, and THAT's what makes life interesting! :)

Hadriana's Treasures said...

Hmmm. These are interesting comments. I wanted to write a lot about my relationship with my parents since we came back to live near them but have had to curtail it. We all live in a very small rural community so it could very easily get back to them. I'm in a quandry about it but I think I prefer to write about it fictionally rather than in a blog. If you can cope with the controversy then by all means....just look at what "Wife in the North" has achieved...