Wednesday 2 May 2007

For the cause

In my effort to Become a Writer, I have done the following:

  • Written a short story about a small-time, small-town crime in South Africa
  • Written an article about white water rafting
  • Written a series of humorous fillers (well, my Mom thinks they're funny!).

What I have not done is submitted them to anyone for publication. So I guess I should not be shocked that my bank balance isn't suddenly attracting the attention of Inland Revenue.

It just feels like such a big leap. One of two things could happen. First, and, let's fact it, most likely, is that they get rejected. Which, in turn, means my having to deal with rejection. Didn't someone once say something about writing being a bit like opening an artery...

Or they get accepted, I earn some dosh and have to actually face having made a career change. Which is better than rejection but still quite a big shift.

Tomorrow I'll trawl the short story competitions and enter the one which I think attracts the least entries (any advice on this front would be welcome!).

So, so far we've established that I don't take criticism well and that I cannot handle rejection. Remind me again why I want to be a writer?

5 comments:

Chaffee Street Cafe` said...

You write very well. Put one foot in front of the other and repeat this process until you reach your goal. Rejection is one step closer to acceptance. Be strong, write everyday and believe in yourself.

dulwichmum said...

Writing the blog is a great show case for your writing. Take compliments from those of us who enjoy how you say what you have to tell us, and delete the negative comments - they really hurt.

Pig in the Kitchen said...

hmmm, yes, rejection is a bit of a bummer. But the flip side, when you get good feedback you float on air! Blogging is a good start isn't it? Helps you sort out your ideas...
Pigx

The Good Woman said...

Thank you so much pastry artist. In know it's about baby steps but what to do about impatience...

Agreed Dulwich Mum. Just delete the suckers. So easy these days. Imagine the pain our forefathers must have experienced...

And, Pig in the Kitchen, today I am floating on air...

VampireFaust said...

I have to agree with "pastry artist", rejection is one step closer to acceptance. One has to develop a very thick skin as a writer. Don't take the rejection personally if it comes your way. Remember, even the most famous authors in the world have experienced their fair share. Just look for the constructive suggestions and keep at it!